Saturday, December 5, 2015

Another day of rescue

Some days in rescue are just so stressful and taxing.  You go to sleep in tears. What else can I do?  Am I really in the right place?  Of course all rescuers have personal dogs....several are likely foster fails.  They huddle around you and give the love so needed at the moment. Sleep refreshes the body.  The sun is peeking through the windows.  It's a new day. It's a new chance to save a canine life.

Pulling into ITV's parking lot and seeing the rescue is similar to seeing a rainbow. The building is a bright beautiful teal color.  Along the exterior walls, characatures of different breeds of dogs are painted, greeting you with happiness. Of course, I'm walking in before hours to see how I can assist before our dog family gets to greet the public. Getting everything spiffy and smelling as nice as possible in a rescue.  Making ITV welcoming so our family of rescues have their chance at finding their forever family.

I'm not a trainer....just a lover of all dogs.  When I walk in I get that baby voice and get excited to see every ITV rescue. In the front we have crates set up for some of the smaller dogs. (There is NEVER enough space no matter what minute, hour or day it is.)   Penni is a gorgeous Boston Terrier Mix. She's full of energy.  She LOVES me!!! If I walk in and pass her by to greet Mini Max or Jake first, she lets me know.  So, Penni and I have our love Fest. She wants her head rubbed.  Then she moves each side against the crate so I can give her a good rubbing. We talk, she smiles, and she's ready for the day. I'm hoping soon I will be shedding happy tears as she walks out with her lucky forever family.

Next, I make my way to the main kennel area.   Often, I have a bag of burgers or other goodies.  Today I don't, but each dog is happy to see me. I go down the line of kennels.  We have beds, blankets and anything we can to make them comfortable. I am use to this. The first month I volunteered, I cried every time I went in there. Now, knowing we do everything we can to keep them happy, I give them extra loving. The alternative is euthenizing.  That is not an option here at ITV.

We have very sweet dogs in our main kennel. It is intimidating to walk back there if you are not accustomed to it.  The dogs all bark. They want your attention. They want some social time with with you. Its worth it. They want to convince you they are ready to be your new best friend. You'll see Sonny to your left as you first walk in. He's a handsome  brown Terrier/Pit Mix.  Yes, we have a lot of Pit mixes. Until laws change and people start being responsible, this will continue.

Agnes sits on the right.    A white mix gal with interesting facial markings. What a lover she is once she's out and away from some of the craziness.  Rucca...oh Rucca!  She's just one of my favorites. She has big perky ears and ALWAYS a toy in her mouth. Thank goodness for Nerf donations. Nerf footballs are her favorites. She's always smiling and happy, even with the toy in her mouth!  Shes high energy but so much fun and a lover. I don't understand why she's been here so long. I know how fabulous she truly is.  Sierra just looks at me and I know she wants some love and body rubs. Sam is a Shep Mix and always has eyeliner on so his eyes just pop and look into your soul. Cali, a Pointer Mix, stops and lets me talk and give her loving. Nestlé, Lucy, Oscar and Boxer Lilly wait their turns. They think they are the lucky ones because they get special attention and sometimes a very special extra treat. Nope!  I am the lucky one! All of us helping at ITV are the lucky ones.



The rescue center is being cleaned and readied to open. I tell each dog, "This could be your lucky day!  Work it good!"  Each dog has been through difficult times.  Each dog is resilient.  They still love and are happy. They just want to give and be loved. It's Thursday.  Normally a slow day here at ITV. But, it only takes ONE person.  Just one person to meet and fall in love with their new best friend. I'm an optimist. I know these rescues have someone out there who will see what we see.  I invite you to come in and see what each ITV member sees in our rescues.

Even if you can't adopt, there are so many ways to help.  Saturday December 5 and 12, Santa is here.  We have a professional photographer to get the photo perfect. My new grandson even came last year and now has his first Christmas photo from ITV. We even have a crafty volunteer who will be offering your photo on a tree ornament. Just drive down Stockwell Road off Morgan Ave and The Loyd Expressway.  You'll see the bright teal building. It will make you smile.  When you come in and are greeted by our wonderful staff, you too, will understand how much joy these dogs bring.

UNTIL ALL PAWS HAVE A HOME,
Lori the crazy dog lover at ITV (one of the many)

No comments:

Post a Comment