Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Fostering Saves Lives

Being an advocate for rescued canines is such a rewarding journey. Like anything in life, it has it's ups and downs, good and bad days, rewards and unbelievable frustrations. I've been doing this for four years now.  As I am sharing my experiences from the inner walls at ITV Rescue- Evansville's only non-profit NO KILL Shelter with a 24 hour operating center, my current foster snuggles beside me. The light from my IPad is a bit distracting to my husband and partner in rescue, as he is trying to sleep. I should be sleeping also, but I'm hyped up and the words must come out

My cute  new  furry buddy is stretched out and making certain he is touching me. He's my current foster. My goal is to match him with his perfect person to spend his forever years with.   Problem is- tonight, it hit me like a ton of bricks that SPARKY isn't his real name. He doesn't always respond to Sparky, but does respond to our voices when we call to him. As I lay here tonight, my mind wonders and I am imagining this sweet guy's journey before ITV rescued him. He's ten years old. For ten years he was called by another name, the name he was given by the same people who have now caused his upheaval.  I'm pretty sure he spent a decade being loyal and loving to someone. That someone has now failed him.   It's just beyond infuriating to me. No matter the circumstance, there is rarely a good reason for a dog to end up a stray and unable to be reunited with his/her owners. There could have been a viable solution that would have been easier on this innocent furry life.  Microchipping is a required part of our protocol to get a dog ready for adoption. A registered and updated microchip....or even an information tag on a collar, could have reunited "Sparky" with his owners. Perhaps he was dumped. No one came for him. He was listed in Evansville's lost pets and with Animal Control. He's only 10 pounds but heavy on the loving gene,  and I'm teary as I imagine him curled in a strange place and scared to death.

Someone had been careless with Sparky. Fortunately, we had room to rescue him and eventually I had space in my home. Here, he started settling into another strange setting. My husband and I have lost count of the number of fosters we've welcomed into our home. It's well over 100, and I wish I had been better organized and kept a  record of the rescues we've loved over the last four years. Some stayed only a few days, some several months. Some were the only foster.  Others came with the company of other fosters.  Regardless, each foster takes a piece of my heart with them when they finally adopt. I can only hope that I can provide a stable and loving home that each foster needs.   During my foster's transition period, my goal is to give them training and love.  I will do whatever they need to be desirable and then adopt to a forever family.

I keep updated on several of my fosters through Facebook via their amazing new people. We also follow up on our adopted rescues via several calls checking on the dog.  Nothing makes me smile bigger than to get a post or photo  from a newer Facebook friend who is now my past foster's forever person. I've seen a half hairless "Journey" go from sick and "ugly" to beautiful again. She regained her black and shiny coat of hair while we got her flea allergies under control. Once an unwanted and discarded living animal, Journey  is now a loved and important part of a forever family.

Two separate fosters are now brothers.  I get to see that Tucker- aka PeeWee,  finally feels comfortable enough to pack on some extra pounds to his once skinny frame. Gus-Gus is still the entertainer he was when fostered here in our house.  Now, he's gained  two brothers  and a partner in crime with a newly wed couple who love their adopted furry boys. Gidget, (MissP), the once hoarded and sickly Dapple Daschund,  who is also blind ( but don't tell her- she was born blind and doesn't know any different) now has several Daschund siblings and visits me often.

Not all of my fosters had happy endings. Its rare, but it happens. It's heartbreaking to help an adoptor blast Facebook to find the sweet dog that got spooked and ran off.  Lola passed from a sudden natural death,  but she spent her final year with an amazing family. Matty was just too ill, and we had to humanely euthenize her. My heart broke for each of these fosters and they are embedded in my memory.

All of us at ITV work tirelessly for our rescued family. There's never enough time in the day to finish all the work that needs to be done. Most of all, and our biggest hurdle- there's NEVER  enough money to pay the bills and take care of everything on our lists. We need a bigger facility.  It would be a huge relief and less stress to be able to say yes to phone call after phone call from people seeking shelter for a dog they can no longer keep.

The big picture is overwhelming...in a good way. The goals we have are huge and will make a transformation in rescue here in Evansville. ITV Volunteers dream big. Dream big or go home....the dogs deserve only the best. A larger facility with ample kennels and areas for all operations. Enough staff and volunteers to make it all run smoothly and provide every dog with individual care and one on one loving time. A mobile medical unit so we can provide vaccinations, spay and neuter and medical care to all areas in need.  Oh- we'd love to easily transport our rescues to other cities and states where there's not an overflowing problem of too many strays and euthenizing shelter dogs. I would love to drive into a city with a van full of our rescue family and watch one by one as they all get adopted.

Those goals are in the back of our minds everyday. SOMEDAY it will happen. We have huge hearts and determination. We put personal issues aside and work tirelessly together to find every paw a home. We know we can do it.  But we know it has to happen one set of paws at a time. It will happen with new and continuous donations from our supporters.  Local and huge businesses must become willing to financially help us fight for our cause. It's unbelievable how expensive it is to keep a rescue operating.  Many times, our adoption fee doesn't even cover the expenses paid out for the vetting and care the dog received after rescue.

"Sparky" is softly sawing logs next to me. I guess it's time to put my weary head down and get some much needed sleep. Tomorrow, Sparky still needs to find his forever home.  So do the other 100+ ITV Rescues currently in our Center at 1417 N Stockwell Road or in a foster home. It's a lot of responsibility. I take it very seriously. I can't fail these dogs. I am their voice and one of their chances to find a new loving home. My fellow ITV rescuers are just as determined if not more determined than I.  We all have different talents, ideas, and work ethics.  Combined,  we shall conquer and enjoy the fruits of our labors.

I hate that I don't know my foster's real name.  I am blessed that I can provide him the shelter, food, love and companionship he so desperately needs until his forever home sends in an adoption application to ITVRescue.org.  It's so sad we don't know his true name or his exact circumstances from his past to help him transition. What's worse...Sparky isn't an exception. In rescue, his abandonment and disregard for his loyal service is pretty well the rule.

I, my husband, and my ITV advocates  will keep taking it one day at a time....one set of paws at a time...and go above and beyond to show these rescues that their lives matter. Sparky, you will make a new person unbelievable happy soon. I'm so sorry for your plight.  But I promise you, I will do everything in my power to make certain this will be your last transition. And then I will move to the next set of paws.  I pray that someday people wise up. Spay and neuter. Treat animals as a lifetime responsibility and hold true to your promise when a new pet joins your family. Until then, my mission will continue.  Might heart is big enough to let a piece go with every new foster and every rescue ITV takes in. Each rescue and foster allows my heart to grow.  It's what I was born to do. I am blessed.

Lori Martin
Rescue Advocate

So, it's a few weeks after writing the above blog. It's with complete joy that I can report that Sparky is now living his happily ever after!  After much contemplation, I now realize his original name is a minuscule worry. We rescued this senior guy and now he is with his person. The past is gone. The only thing that matters is the present and future.

Right now, I know Sparky...or whatever name the new owner gives this handsome guy...is in a loving home. He has a canine, feline and PIG sibling!  I hear he is roaming his new home and curious of the surroundings, especially the pig. He is settling in and becoming an important member of his forever family.

The past only matters when trying to help a rescue through abuse and medical issues. The present and future is now what's important to my most recent foster. If only more of you would jump on board and foster.  Your heart will grow and you will helping a good cause.

Enjoy your new life, Sparky. You have a piece of my heart and l have so much of your love that still lingers. You are a wonderful guy. It was a honor to serve you. I salute your resilience and admire your spirit.  Until all paws have a home, this home will bring in more "Sparkies".  We will continue to love and train them until they match with their forever home. Fostering. What a gift that keeps giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment